Monday, October 22, 2012

Whisper Phones

I MEANT to finish some whisper phones this weekend, so I could add something new to our classroom library. A whisper phone is a little tool to help kids hear themselves as they quietly read. Lakeshore sells them for $5 each. (http://www.lakeshorelearning.com/seo/ca|searchResults~~p|2534374302175284~~.jsp)
I need at least 5, so a group of kids can use them, so I decided to make the 94 cents version. I was GOING to make them. But it was a pretty full weekend.

So- I brought the supplies to school and the class helped me make the whisper phones this morning. We cut some 3/4 inch PVC pipe into 3.5 inch lengths, slipped on some L ends, and decorated/secured them with pretty tie-dyed duct tape.

The phones are a real hit, and I think the class maybe likes the phones even better because they helped to make them.



Hooray! Let the whisper-reading begin :)

3 comments:

  1. Can you please identify the tool used to cut the pipe? I found out the hard way that a hacksaw is doing it the hard way. :)
    Thanks a bunch!
    Mario

    ReplyDelete
  2. I used the PVC pipe cutter that is in the picture above. This cutter was around $15 at Home Depot and is SOOO worth the price if you are going to do any PVC pipe cutting at all! It slides right through the pipe like a knife through butter. Best wishes!

    ReplyDelete
  3. A PVC pipe cutter. Well, that was easy. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete